So you’ve decided to sell your home and there’s a lot to think about. You’ll have to pack belongings, hire movers, cancel utilities, find new housing – maybe you’ll even be starting a new job. Whatever your situation, you’ve got a lot on your plate. At Backus Real Estate, we understand that, and work to make the actual sale of the property itself as worry-free as possible. By bringing decades of real estate experience to bear on every transaction, we provide you with all of the guidance and resources necessary to successfully sell your home, from day one. Take a look below at what we do to ensure a successful transaction for every listing, and see why our first-time clients come back to us again and again for real estate services.
You’re ready to sell, we can make it happen. Here’s how…
1) Price it right: The first question everyone asks when they decide to sell their house is “How much is it worth?” Don’t count on an internet guesstimate or a town appraisal to accurately reflect the value of your home. The only way to establish a true value to to engage an active and experienced real estate appraiser or broker. When you work with Backus Real Estate, we take the guesswork out of determining your home’s worth. We’ll give you a no-nonsense, objective analysis of value.
2) Set the Stage for Success: The second question we’re most often asked is what, if anything, should be done to prepare the home for sale? Unfortunately, there is no set formula to answer this question. It depends on the condition of the house, the amount of time and money you have to invest in rehab and staging, and the amount of effort you’re willing to expend in your effort to increase the eventual sale price of your home. At Backus Real Estate, we’ve been through this process a hundred times – we’ll tell you quickly what should be done, what should be left alone, and we’ll help you prioritize any projects so they fit your time and budget allocations. And if you want to go the full staging route, or consult with an interior designer, we can guide you toward those services as well.
3) Do the Homework: When we accept a listing, we consult numerous sources, from town halls to boards of education, to ensure that we’re knowledgeable representatives of your property and its neighborhood. Furthermore, we incorporate this information into our marketing materials, to create a thorough offering of your home and all it has to offer.
4) Comprehensive Marketing Strategy: A broker’s number one job is to market his/her clients’ properties. At Backus Real Estate, we aggressively market each and every listing we accept in a variety of ways:
a. MLS Exposure – This is the number one way to get your property in front of the most potential buyers. Backus Real Estate cooperates fully with all other Realtors, ensuring that any agent, at any firm, working with any Buyer, will have access to your house listing.
b. Online Marketing: We will ensure that your listing appears on Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia, and a variety of other real estate websites. We include a detailed description of your property, and numerous beautiful photos to highlight your home’s best features.
c. Signage: We get a lot of calls from the “For Sale” signs we place on our listed properties. When a house is tucked away on a side street, we also place a helpful sign at the nearest busy intersection to increase awareness.
d. Print Media: Even in an age dominated by online searches, print media still has a role to play, and Backus Real Estate can harness it to market your home. We have relationships with reps at all major papers and home magazines.
e. Open House: A professionally hosted, well-orchestrated open house can go a long way in bringing Buyers in to see your home. We’ll work with you to choose a convenient time to give your home this important exposure.
5) Experienced Negotiation: Obviously, you want to get the most money for your home. And we never take our eye off that ball. But price is just one of many factors to consider when negotiating a contract. Inspection periods, financing contingencies, deposit monies, closing dates, and other elements all come into play. At Backus Real Estate, we’ve negotiated hundreds of agreements. We’ll put that breadth of experience to work for you, so you can make informed decisions about every aspect of an incoming offer. When you finally sign that contract, it won’t just be any contract, it’ll be the right contract.
6) Follow through, right till the end: There’s a lot of agents out there who think their job is done when a contract is signed, and hand you and your file over to a “closing department”. At Backus Real Estate, we remain by your side from the signing of the contract all the way to the closing table. We’ll be there to help resolve inspection issues; we’ll keep on top of the Buyer’s progress in obtaining financing; we’ll meet and speak with appraisers at your property; we’ll initiate communication between both parties’ legal counsel; and we’ll handle a myriad of other tasks that must be overseen to achieve that ultimate goal of a successful closing. Bottom line, our aim at Backus Real Estate is to take the complicated process of selling a home and make it simple.
7) A relationship beyond closing: Our focus at Backus Real Estate is always on the client, not just on any one individual transaction. Our unwavering commitment to serving the best interests of our clients, both during and after transactions, consistently leads to relationships that last well beyond a single closing. We are proud of the number of repeat customers we serve, and of how often our new clients come as referrals from past clients. These relationships offer a degree of satisfaction that is less tangible than the commissions we earn, but ultimately that much more rewarding. Just take a look at some of the emails we’ve received in our testimonial section to see for yourself.